How we are almost halfway through August already I will never know!? I never understand how every summer seems to pass quicker then the next. Now is that time of the summer when you suddenly think “What have I done with my time?! What memories have I made?!” So many plans and things that you want to do get put aside and before you know it you are singing carols around a Christmas tree!
10 Cheap and Free Ways To Still Enjoy The Summer
I have put a list together of some things that you still have time to do this summer. Best of all, you can probably find them right where you live and most are cheap or free to do! You gotta like that!
1. Go to the library – Do this on a super hot day. Almost every town, big or small has a public library that offer fun drop in programs. You can go to read books with families, have sing a longs and some offer crafts and even outings! All of these are usually free.
2. Tour a museum – Get out there and learn something new. Take your kids and show them the past. Here in Kingston we have so many places to take advantage of. Try taking a tour of the Pump House Steam Museum, experience Fort Henry or take in the Original Hockey Hall of Fame.
3. Go on an exploration walk – Grab a backpack with lots of snacks and water and walk a trail you have never walked before. Ooohh and aww over every thing your little one gets bright-eyed about. Look for bugs, pick flowers (watch for poison ivy) and look up above for flying birds!
4. Have a picnic – Pack a lunch and spend the afternoon laying on a blanket eating cheese and crackers. Look up at the sky and try to find cloud animals. Do what you used to do when you were a kid. Nap if you want to. You can do what you want. It’s the summer after all.
5. Go to a splash pad – Where I live, pretty much every park has a splash pad and we love spending time there on hot days. It is always great fun, free and it gives you a chance to meet other families.
6. Play in the rain – Put on some rain boots and step outside the next time it rains. Jump in puddles, splash those around you and spin around while trying to catch some rain on your tongue. Get a bit muddy if you have too!
7. Camp out in the backyard – Set up a tent, bbq some s’mores and sleep under the stars. Spend all night outside talking and playing games. Experience it together as a family.
8. Run through the sprinkler – On a super hot day, set up the sprinkler. It may seem simple but there is nothing more fun then running around the yard getting sprayed with water. Best of all, your kids will probably sleep well at night!
9. Draw with some sidewalk chalk while eating a Popsicle – Sidewalk chalk is so fun! Be creative with your little ones. Draw and play a game of hopscotch, draw animals and flowers and do so while licking a chocolate Popsicle…just because!
10. Experience Movies in the Square – If you are not from the Kingston area, come here just for Movies in the Square. Every Thursday during the summer, Springer Market Square is turned into an outdoor movie theater. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets, popcorn and snuggle up with family while watching a movie. It’s free and your kids will talk about the experience forever.
Now, pick just one thing off of this list and go out and do it! Do it now and let me know how much fun you had!
Previous Post Isla Approved: Stearns Puddle Jumper Swin Aid Review
Next Post 4 Fun Sidewalk Chalk Ideas