Hey everyone! Welcome to Fall! You may have noticed that it’s been pretty quiet around the blog here lately. I have some things going on right at the moment and I really haven’t had a spare moment to keep things going around here. The silence won’t last long but please bare with me. Regular postings will me back soon but I wanted to say a quick HI to you all today!
Ok, let’s get back to Fall! I have never been a fan of this season. I love summer and I love the warm weather and long days. It dawned on me the other day that it isn’t fall I dislike…it’s just the thought that winter is not far behind and I really loathe winter. We do not get along. End. Of. Story. There are a lot of things I truly do enjoy about the next couple of months. There is something familiar and comforting about this time of year and I wanted to share with you why I am “falling” for Fall!
1. Television Premieres – I am a show watcher. Maybe even more than I like to admit but I do love me a great season premiere. Usually about this time all of favourites come back on the tube. I am always so interested to see what new shows come on and what my favs have it store for the season. #TGIT is what I am all about this year!
2. Tastes, Smells, Sounds – Bath & Body Works Candles, Pumpkin Spiced Lattes, Homemade Pumpkin Pie, the sound of leaves beneath your feet, the way the air feels on your face the first thing in the morning…it’s all so magical!
3. Colours – We may get some cold winters here in Canada but before that happens our trees change to the most beautiful colours of reds, oranges and yellows. There is nothing better then a Sunday drive or a hike up a hill where you are greeted by some of the most beautiful foliage you have ever seen.
4. Clothing – There is something about a flannel shirt that just screams FALL to me! I love getting out my jeans, brown booties, tucking in a cute shirt and a great scarf! Anything that can be layered and is comfy and warm is fine with me.
5. Décor – I have a box of décor for every holiday/season and fall is no different. I love putting up my fall wreath, putting some potted mums out front mixed in with a scarecrow or two. Inside, I like adding a new fall centrepiece, leaf garlands and new fall candles to tie everything in together.
6. Thanksgiving – This right here is kind of the kick off to the holiday season in my opinion. There is nothing better then being in the kitchen with family, over a hot stove with the smell of turkey and all the fixins’ cooking. Saying what you are thankful for and finishing it off with something delicious that my grandma has baked is always the perfect ending.
7. Watching Hocus Pocus – Every time I watch this movie I am instantly transported back to my childhood. Every Hallowe’en I would look forward to the “Magic of Disney” play it on a Sunday night. Now, I can watch it whenever I want to because I have it on DVD…but I still choose to keep the watching to a minimum. I can’t wait till Isla and I can watch it together.
8. Carving Pumpkins – You can’t do fall without carving a pumpkin. You just can’t. Now that we have a kid it is even more fun because she can get involved. My dad used to always carve the funniest pumpkins. Now my husband does it for Isla and we always have fun! Even better is toasting the pumpkin seeds afterwards.
9. Hallowe’en – I remember the fun my sister and I had on Hallowe’en night. Now that I have a family of my own, I want to create those memories for Isla. I love decorating the house, dressing Isla up, putting on my witch’s hat and greeting all the little trick or treaters at the door. Secretly I am always praying for leftovers at the end of the night!
If you are not into fall, maybe some of my favourite things will help you change your mind. After you smell a Pumpkin Latte Candle from Bath and Body Works, I don’t know if you will dislike fall for long!