My Turquoise Home
Baby Pregnancy

Nash’s Labour and Delivery Story

Warning: This post isn’t very descriptive, but if you don’t like the words “dilated”,  “contractions” and “pushing” then maybe this post isn’t for you.

They say that no two pregnancies and deliveries are the same. After having just popped out my second child, I can say with certainty that this is completely true. For both of my kids I was 9 days late. Isla’s pregnancy was pretty great. Morning sickness here and there but other than that I felt wonderful. Labour and Delivery was long but pretty much textbook.

This time around my pregnancy was manageable but I experienced lots of morning sickness and most days I felt like a 90 year old. Come to think of it, most 90 year old’s may have been in better shape than I felt. Other than that, my pregnancy was not complicated so I can’t complain.

Our son Nash was due on April 21st. Day after day, nothing was happening. Almost a week had passed with a few false alarms; waking up in the middle of the night with cramping and thinking that today was going to be the day but it never was. At 40 weeks and 6 days I went to meet my OB for a check-up. I was shocked to find out that I was already 3 cm dilated and figured that tonight could be the night. We made an appointment anyways for myself to be induced the following week in case things still were not progressing. Wednesday I left the doctors feeling on top of the world, 3 cm dilated and ready to have this baby. Later that night I woke up with some cramping and couldn’t get back to sleep. By the time morning came around the cramping had completely stopped. Thursday, things were quiet and Friday until about 3 pm in the afternoon. We were walking around our neighbourhood and I ended up feeling pretty uncomfortable; cramping in my legs and my lower belly. The cramping continued into the evening and I was able to start timing them so I knew they were contractions. I called my parents around 7 pm and told them that this was it! Baby boy was coming and if they could get on the road as soon as possible. We also notified our daycare provider who offered to take Isla if we needed it. My parents made it down a couple of hours later. At this point my contractions were all about 10 minutes apart and getting a bit more intense. I could breathe through them easily and they weren’t giving me any grief.

After midnight on April 30th, my contractions were about 5 minutes apart. At 12:20 am we decided to venture off to the hospital. I really didn’t want to be turned away but the pain was getting intense and I kept thinking back to being 3 cm dilated 2 days prior. I had to be at least 4 cm by now right?! WRONG! I was still only 3 cm and had to be sent home with some drugs in hopes that I could possibly sleep and cope a bit better with the pain. We got back home around 1:30 am, much to the dismay of my parents who were really hoping that they wouldn’t see me again.

For about a half an hour, the drugs seemed to keep my contractions somewhat manageable but by 2 am all bets were off and the severe pain really started. When I started throwing up, I knew things were happening. I did not want to be sent home again so I laboured at home until the pain was unbearable and contractions were only a couple of minutes apart. We left the house at 3:33 am. My poor parents. Remember they were there watching Isla, listening to my painful cries the whole time. I remember saying a few times “I can’t do this. I can’t do this!” Dana was my cheerleader and helped me immensely by rubbing my back and reminding me constantly that our baby boy will be here soon.

We got to the hospital at 4 am. They checked me again and I was closer to 4 cm but they still couldn’t admit me! I begged for them to keep me or at the very least hook me up with some laughing gas; the same thing I did with Isla. They gave me two options; either walk around the hospital for an hour and see if that hurried things along, or they could break my water and admit me. “Break my damn water!” I said. In my own head I knew I didn’t want to be induced and the doctors also knew that I didn’t want to be but this was different. I was clearly in labour and just needed a bit of a push, no pun intended! They had me admitted to a room within a couple of minutes, had the call put in to the anesthesiologist who would give me my epidural and had the laughing gas all set up for me by 4:30 am. The resident came in and tried to break my water but it wouldn’t break. At this point I was still only 4 cm and I do not remember the pain being so bad the first time. The laughing gas seemed to help at some points but not like how I remembered it helping with Isla. Around 5 am I got the epidural and waited patiently between cries and hauls off the laughing gas for it to start working. It finally did, my water broke on its own and within an hour I went from 4cm to 10cm and we were ready for me to push. I couldn’t believe how quickly things were happening.

Delivery this time around was a bit more stressful. Nash was trying to come out way to quickly and this was causing problems. His heart rate was dropping the entire time I was pushing. There was talk about an emergency c section if we didn’t get him out in the next few minutes. I pushed and pushed with every last little bit of energy I had left. We all knew we were dealing with a bigger baby. In the end a c section wasn’t needed but the vacuum was. He finally made it into the world at 7:47 am weighing in at 8 pounds and 14 ounces and 52 cm in length. The nurses and doctors commented right away at how big he was and the fact that his feet were huge! Right away I knew he looked just like his big sister. I was so happy to hold him if even for a minute but he was quickly whisked away to be checked out by the nurses. Because he came out so quickly, there was a lot of buildup in his lungs. Nash had to spend the first 24 hours of his life in the NICU connected to tubes and a CPAP machine to help with his breathing. I know that he was in good hands but it was awful not being able to snuggle him right away. He had to be constantly tested for his blood sugar levels and jaundice all of which kept us in the hospital for an extra 3 days after his birth. He made it through everything and day after day his levels got better, his diapers were full, his jaundice eventually corrected itself and he latched on for the first time like a champ! We haven’t looked back and we are so excited to be home with him. He is such a joy, eats well, sleeps well and I know he is going to add so many wonderful memories to our family. Welcome to the world Nash Alexander! We are so blessed to call you our son.


Two days before Nash was born.


First photo with mommy and daddy.



Isla in her “Big Sister” scrubs ready to meet her baby brother.

The perfect moment.


FINALLY going home!!!

 photo blog signature_zpsl72mpjgz.png

You Might Also Like...

No Comments

Leave a Reply